Both the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) and Flambeau Mining Company (FMC) post information about the Flambeau Mine on their websites. To access the information, click on the following links:
- WDNR: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Mines/Flambeau.html (WDNR Website Static Image)
- FMC: http://www.flambeaumine.com/ (FMC Website Static Image)
Besides general information about the Flambeau Mine, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources also posts to its website a portion of the water quality monitoring data that has been submitted to the department by FMC. This includes both groundwater data and limited surface water data for the Flambeau River. Unfortunately, however, not ALL of the FMC monitoring data has been posted to the department’s website.
The Department’s on-line database is known as GEMS (Groundwater and Environmental Monitoring System; http://dnr.wi.gov/wastemgmt/gotw/webpages/UserAgreement.aspx ; Website Static Image).
To access the database, click on the above link, accept the user agreement and click on “Proceed to GOTW.” The following specifications will help you find the correct file:
- County = Rusk
- Facility Name = Flambeau Mining Co – Kennecott Mining Site
- License Number = 3180
When you are in the Flambeau Mine section of the data base (Website Static Image), do the following:
- Click on the “Point ID” for the well or surface water site you want to see
- Scroll down, click on “Choose Parameter Code(s)/Subtype(s),” select individual parameters of interest or click on “Check All”
- Under “Choose Sample Date Range,” select dates that you want (oldest wells at Flambeau site have data going back to October 1987) or click on “Select All Dates”
- Click on “Download Comprehensive Results Directly to Excel File”
- When the Excel file has downloaded, you can “sort” any column to make the spreadsheet more usable.